Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Granola

I'm going to make some granola today, so I thought I'd share my recipe for anyone who might be interested. It makes a lot, but it doesn't last very long around here. My favorite way to eat it is mixed with applesauce. You can bake the granola after it's mixed to make it crunchy, but we all prefer it soft. Soon I'm going to figure out how to make granola bars as well. And the recipe is very adaptable, so use whatever dried fruits you want. I originally was using a recipe from Food Network, but I've changed it up so much that it's unrecognizable now. Now for the recipe. As you will see, it's not an exact science or anything.


Put 8 cups oatmeal and desired amount of sunflower seeds and coconut on two cookie sheets. Toast in oven at 350°, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.

While that is toasting, cook the following in a saucepan over medium heat: 1¾ cups honey, ¼ cup molasses, ¼ cup canola oil, 2 tablespoons vanilla, 2 teaspoons salt(only if using unsalted sunflower seeds). Cook until heated.

Put the oatmeal mix in a bowl and add: ½ cup chopped dried apricots, 1 cup chopped dried apples, 2 cups raisins, 1½ cups chopped dates. Add the contents from the pot and mix well. If desired, put back on pans in oven until crispy.

No comments: